The European Showrunner Training is designed for up to twelve experienced series writers
- with outstanding screenwriting talent
- with significant previous writers’ room experience
- with a clear artistic vision as well as leadership temperament
- with a keen interest in series producing.
- with a citizenship in a European country or a country participating in the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme – click here for the current list of participating non-EU countries
(If your country is not listed, you can still apply as a maximum of two seats can be given to writers from countries outside of Europe and the MEDIA Programme.)
Important: The ESP is neither a screenwriting nor a writers’ room training! We expect all participants to bring substantial and extensive experience in series writing and in working in writers’ rooms.
The application procedure is two-fold:
1. Application (to be submitted via email by April 3, 2023)
The following information will be required in English language:
- Application form (fully completed and signed)
- CV including previous experiences in the series industry
- Statement of motivation for becoming a showrunner and for attending this training (2 pages max.)
- Letter of recommendation by a showrunner, head writer, producer or TV executive
- Writing samples (excerpts of 1-3 screenplays – each 10 pages max.)
2. Interview (in late April/early May | 30 Min | via Zoom)
Applicants will be selected by the following criteria:
- experience in the industry
- screenwriting talent
- production-oriented mindset
- communication skills
- leadership temperament
The selection results will be communicated in early May.
Participations Fees & Scholarships
The European Showrunner Training has a participation fee of
- 1,500 Euros, excluding accommodation, including meals for on-site training modules
- 2,500 Euros, including accommodation and meals for on-site training modules (8 days in total)
The actual cost of the European Showrunner Training is significantly higher, but thanks to the support of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme of the European Union, the Film- und Medienstiftung NRW and Netflix, we are able to offer this in-depth training for such a reasonable fee.
Partial and full scholarships are available in priority (but not exclusively) to candidates from the following countries: Bulgaria, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Hungary, Latvia, Cyprus, Malta, as well as [subject to the conditions being fulfilled for their participation in the MEDIA strand] Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Ukraine.)
For obtaining a scholarship, applicants are asked to indicate the request in the application form as well as to substantiate their request briefly in their statement of motivation for attending the European Showrunner Training.