The main sponsor of the ifs internationale filmschule köln is the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, the main shareholder being the Film- und Medienstiftung North Rhine-Westphalia. The ifs is also financed by tuition fees. In addition to its basic financing by the State of North Rhine-Westphalia and its shareholder, the ifs is called upon to increasingly seek third-party funding, i.e. money and donations in kind.
Who we are
The ifs internationale filmschule köln is a full study and professional training institution with an artistic-scientific focus serving aspiring media professionals.
On the initiative of the NRW state government and the Film- und Medienstiftung NRW the school was founded in 2000 as a non-profit company, the Film- und Medienstiftung being the sole principal partner of the ifs. The ifs is consistantly ranked as one of the best film schools in Germany, based on its outstanding student support, excellent teaching and project work, and active festival participation, including a Student Academy Award in 2012 as a crowning so far.
Studying at the ifs
Studying at the ifs means obtaining an international bachelor’s and master’s degree at the end of your studies – in the undergraduate Bachelor’s Program Film (with the specializations Screenwriting, Creative Production, Film Directing, Director of Photography, Editing Picture & Sound, VFX & Animation and Production Design) as well as in the continuing international master’s program MA Serial Storytelling, MA Digital Narratives and MA 3D Animation for Film & Games and – from 2021 – MA Entertainment Producing and MA Film.
In addition, comprehensive professional training programs train young professionals for the constantly growing demands of the audiovisual media industry. The future is our benchmark – to train and educate responsible, independently thinking personalities is our goal.
Small numbers of students and a biennially admission to studies guarantee very individual and intensive support. The professors and lecturers at ifs are themselves renowned filmmakers who build bridges to media reality.
Narrating in film is the focus of (professional) training at ifs. And this can only succeed if you work together in the best possible way. But teamwork also takes learning…
Being international is not an empty word at ifs. We are interconnected with universities all over the world, and a variety of exchange programs and summer schools with universities in the USA, South Korea, Israel and Europe prepare us for the world of tomorrow.
Current cooperation partners of the ifs are:
- Aalto University, School of Art and Design, Helsinki, Finland
- Academy of Film and Multimedia Marubi, Tirana, Albania
- Andrzej Wajda Master School of Film Directing, Warsaw, Poland
- ARCADA University of Applied Sciences, Media and Technology, Helsinki/Finland
- Beit Berl College, Beit Berl/Israel
- Dar Al-Kalima College, Bethlehem/palästinens. Autonomiegebiete
- Dong-Ah Institute of Media and Arts (DIMA), Anseong, South Korea
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts et Techniques du Théâtre ENSATT, Lyon, France
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune, India
- Izmir University of Economics, Department of Cinema and Digital Media, Izmir, Turkey
- Kyrgyzstan-Turkey Manas University, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- LUCA School of Arts, Sint-Lukas Brussels, Brüssel/Belgium
- Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design (MOME),Budapest, Hungary
- Netherlands Film and Television Academy, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Saint-Joseph University, Beirut/Lebanon
- Sam Spiegel Film and Television School, Jerusalem, Israel
- School of Sound, Oxford, UK
- Shanghai Theatre Academy, Media Investigation & Research Center, Shanghai/China
- Tallinn University Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn, Estonia
- Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Art and Media School, Tampere, Finland
- UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television, Los Angeles, USA
- Universidade de Vigo, Vigo, Spain
- Universidade Lusófona, Lisbon, Portugal
- University College Ghent, KASK School of Arts, Ghent, Belgium
- University of Salford, School of Media, Music and Performance, Manchester, UK
- University of Theatre and Film (SZFE), Budapest, Hungary
- TH Köln
- Cologne Game Lab
- Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg, Ludwigsburg
- Filmuniversität Babelsberg Konrad Wolf, Potsdam
- Folkwang Universität der Künste, Essen
- Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film München
- Hochschule für Musik und darstellende Kunst Stuttgart
- Hochschule für Musik Freiburg
- Kunsthochschule für Medien Köln
- University of Cologne
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Dortmund
- Aubagne International Film Festival, Aubagne/France
- Flanders International Film Festival, Gent/Belgium
- BFS Bundesverband Filmschnitt, Berlin
- Edimotion, Cologne
- Masterplan Filmtalent Limburg, Belgium
- fellows network
What we can offer you
Mention of your company in ifs publications or on our website.
Invitation to exclusive ifs events: premieres, film conversations, set visits, graduation and pitching events for the individual courses of study and further training.
Cooperation within the framework of the programs, including creative writing, improvisation, final cut or after effects.