news / Press release
New industry partners support Master's programme in »Entertainment Producing«
- »Entertainment Producing« Master's programme for future entertainment producers for the second time in September 2023
- Course of studies: from innovative format development to creative leadership
- Application phase runs until May 10, 2023
The application phase for the second year of the »Entertainment Producing« Master's programme at the ifs Internationale Filmschule Köln runs until May 10. The extra-occupational study programme, which is unique in the German-speaking regions, is dedicated to the development, production and distribution of entertainment formats in four semesters under the leadership of format expert Prof. Jennifer Mival and is aimed at future entertainment producers.
The two-year study programme was developed on the initiative and with the support of the Film- und Medienstiftung NRW and in close cooperation with high-profile entertainment producers from North Rhine-Westphalia. Bavaria Entertainment, Endemol Shine Germany, Mediengruppe RTL Deutschland, Netflix, Seapoint Productions, Warner Bros. International Television Production are already on board again as sponsors and scholarship donors for the new cohort. With ITV Studios Germany, Riverside Entertainment and ZDF Studios, the ifs was able to win further new industry partners as sponsors and scholarship donors.
Petra Müller, Managing Director of the Film- und Medienstiftung NRW and Chairwoman of the ifs' shareholders' meeting and Entertainment Producing advisory board: "In view of the omnipresent shortage of skilled workers, it is more than logical to continue the Entertainment Producing degree programme in cooperation with renowned industry representatives and thus make a lasting contribution to the further development of the entertainment industry in NRW. A warm welcome to our new industry partners and toi, toi, toi for a successful second round!"
Nadja Radojevic, Managing Director of the ifs: "Already with the first successful session, the implementation of an Entertainment Master's has been a success: The course content is practically oriented on the tasks of producers in the creation process of an entertainment format – from the idea to the international evaluation. We are very pleased to continue this successful model. I would like to express my sincere thanks to our sponsors - both for the renewed support of proven partners and for the trust placed in us by our new partners!"
Prof. Jennifer Mival: "The creative exchanges with the talented students and top-class lecturers of the first run have been a great pleasure, and their commitment has been instrumental in ensuring that our "pilot" now successfully enters its second season. Thank you for this! I am now looking forward to strong applications for our second round and am grateful that through our collaborative partners we can again award scholarships to support ambitious entertainment talent to do their Masters in addition to their job."
The starting point for the successful first round of the programme was the topic of format development, including a channel briefing from Vox and a pitch by the students to the entertainment advisory board.
- A highlight on the focus of production was – in addition to a production briefing by Seapoint Productions on the RTL hit format Let's Dance - a visualisation exercise in which the students developed and produced their own short-form concepts.
- On the topic of evaluation and format business, the students went on an excursion to the international industry trade fair MIPCOM in Cannes under the guidance of Prof. Jennifer Mival. The programme included exciting inputs on the international format market and appointments with successful international distribution companies (including Banijay Group, ITV Studios, NBCUniversal, ZDF Studios).
- In addition, case studies with leading producers from the areas of show, reality or factual entertainment – with a focus on creative leadership and production practice - on successful formats such as Wer stiehlt mir die Show, The Masked Singer or Mai Think X take place regularly during the two-year programme.
- Currently, the first-year students are developing an independent format concept as a Master's thesis, accompanied by Prof. Jennifer Mival as well as the diverse expertise of renowned lecturers including Catherine Harwardt (Head of Content Factual, DriveBeta), René Jamm (Managing Director, Warner Brothers Int. Television Production), Dr. Markus Schäfer (CEO, ZDF Studios) and Björn Hupatz (Production Executive, ITV Studios Germany).
Founded in 2000, the ifs Internationale Filmschule Köln is today one of the leading training centres for film and moving image in Germany. It sees itself as a central, internationally oriented study and professional training institution for the audiovisual media industry. Its aim is to offer film and media professionals high-quality, future-oriented training in a close interweaving of theory and practice. Its location in the film and media centre of Cologne is a particular characteristic of its claim to be close to the industry. Its shareholder is the Film- und Medienstiftung NRW.
Further information at www.filmschule.de
Bettina Henzler is the new Professor of Film Studies at the ifs
Director Pauline Schläger receives the award for »Dann lieber sterben«
The ifs at the Film Festival Cologne 2023
Graduation film »Bloom« wins young talent award in the Short Steps category