BA Film Overview
7 disciplines under one roof
Storytelling and the ability to work in a team – this is the focus of the film studies programme at the ifs. The Bachelor’s programme Film concentrates on teaching artistic, scientific and technical basics for professional filmmaking. In teaching, students learn what film is all about: an understanding of subject matter, dramaturgy, artistic design and production strategies. In the development of ideas and material for screenplays as well as in the realisation of film projects, the acquired knowledge and skills find their creative application – in interdisciplinary teamwork.
The Bachelor’s Programme Film offers the following specialisations: Creative Producing, Directing, Director of Photography, Production Design, Screenwriting, or VFX & Animation.
In the course of their studies, the cinematic narratives and media implementations become increasingly complex and challenging, thus enabling the students to gradually gain expertise in their specialisation. Among other aspects, the programme is also designed to foster the students’ personal
development and help them find their individual artistic style and voice.
Specialist modules convey the artistic and professional know-how for the desired profession. In the project modules, projects are realised from the idea to the finished script or film. Media science modules and key qualifications impart media science knowledge and social competence.
The seven BA Film subjects at a glance
Alumni 2023 overview
Professors of the BA Filmall people at the ifs
Good reasons to study at the ifs
- innovative media education that reflects current developments and their aesthetic and cultural potential
- individual and intensive support through small groups of students and a 2-year program cycle
- excellent teaching staff of professors and lecturers consisting of renowned national and international filmmakers and scholars
- network building during studies through a strong practical orientation and numerous contacts in the media sector
- professional teamwork through a combination of vocational specialisation and interdisciplinary cooperation
- intercultural experience through international cooperations with film schools from around the world
- excellent equipment with state-of-the-art technology
- very good career prospects: two thirds of all alumni find employment in the media industry within 3 months after graduating
Head of Studies
Leitung MA Film
- 0221 920188220
Jattina von Puttkamer
Head of Coordination BA Film
Head of BA Screenwriting
Head of Acting
- 0221 920188263
Coordination of interdisciplinary events
Office of Student Affairs and Examination Office
- 0221 920188226